Pūniu River care has been engagedby NZ Landcare Trust to prepare a wetland site for the establishment of a large kahikatea stand adjacent to the Waipā River.
The site is owned by a private farmer who has agreed to retire the area from grazing.
The project has two small creeks that ephemerally flow through a wetland and has willow growth throughout the wetland, other weeds include willow weed and gypsy wort, as well as the bindweed.
- Pūniu River Care will drill and inject herbicide into 100% percent of willow within the wetland by March 2017
- Pūniu River Care will provide initial weed control within the wetland by March 2017
- Pūniu River Care will provide fence wetland to specification to exclude 100% stock by May 2017
- “5 wire fence with an outrigger on the outside”
- Marae have capacity and capability to improve habitat diversity
- Marae have capacity to plant trees alongside rivers and streams
- Marae are empowered to participate in the kaitiakitanga of their significant waterways, flora and fauna
- Meaningful collaboration with Farmers
- Programmes are being delivered outside the Pūniu catchment
- NZ Landcare Trust