This stunning showcase at Mangatoatoa marae will be an exemplar of best practice for creating a safe riverside area for the public. This project will enhance an area used by the community for recreational activities. The area is sited on the southern side of the Pūniu river below the marae, an area identified as a “Potential Significant Natural Area” in the Waipa District Plan Appeals Version (2014)
- To propagate and plant up to 1000 eco-sourced native trees.
- To reduce sediment erosion into the Pūniu and Waipā Rivers.
- To restore 2000 m2 of a “Potential Significant Natural Area” and to undertake 1000 m2 of riparian planting to improve water quality, reduce sediment and create a safe place for the public.
- To showcase a visible floodplain restoration adjacent to the Pūniu River for promotion to the public in the Waipā district.
- To provide an opportunity for habitat restoration for native birds.
- The community are connected to the waterways
- Marae have capacity to plant trees alongside rivers and streams
- Creating Safe places, healthy waters and healthy people
- Waipā District Council